Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

YSL Rogue Volupte Lipstick: Nude Beige




Hello, lovely friends!

When last we spoke in the Blogosphere, I shared with you my newfound obsession with YSL lipsticks and particularly my favorite holiday shade, Red Muse. Today, I bring you a review of another favorite but this time, one that falls within the realm of nudes and pinks: 001 Nude Beige. I almost didn’t purchase Nude Beige in favor of Ultimate Beige, which I was certain would be a more flattering nude however I underestimated how light my winter skin really is, even for a Florida girl. Of the two nude Voluptes offered at Sephora, Nude Beige is the most flattering nude Rogue Volupte for an NC25-30 skin tone (although I am also convinced that 002 Sensual Silk will pair well too but that one will require a visit to the YSL counter).



As with Red Muse, the formula for Nude Beige is ultra-luxurious. The product glides on with ease and saturates the lips with the desired color in one swipe. For such a light shade, I was fairly impressed with the fact that it wore well in a 12 hour day, requiring a mere 2 reapplications and not because the color had diminished but rather because my lips needed a little moisture and I hadn’t any lip balm on hand. Nude Beige transfers less while eating and drinking than the more heavily pigmented RogueVoluptes like Red Muse and Forbidden Burgundy but it does maintain the lips in that desirable nudey-pink state all day. 

I do however find that this shade in particular accentuates fine lines and creases in the lips far more than the other colors, likely because it is so much paler. That’s a problem I find with many of these light nudes and pinks when formulated into that sought-after, non-drying, not-your-grandma’s-lipstick such as the Too Faced La Crème, Revlon Lip Butters, and Urban Decay Revolution Lipsticks. To minimize or eliminate this problem, pamper your lips. Exfoliate and lay down a nice even base (I recommend Too Faced Lip Insurance) before applying. It makes a difference not just with these types of lip products but even the most drying, retro-mattes you can think of!


A quick snapshot of the complete look with Nude Beige before heading out to a Sunday Indian Brunch with the hubby and friends.  On the rest of my face I'm wearing YSL Teint Resist in shade #4 (sand),  Naked 2 for the eyes, NYC bronzer in Sunny, and my Cargo Blush in Key Largo applied with a very, very light hand.

Pros:
  • Beautiful packaging, that usual unmatched luxury we come to expect of Yves Saint Laurent
  • Non-drying
  • Long-wearing
  • Pigmented.
  • Ease of application.
  • Beautiful and very wearable color for light to light-medium complexioned persons. 


Cons:
  • Steep price point, even for a prestige brand lipstick.
  • Formula tends to settle in fine lines and creases.
  • That awful artificial perfumed cucumber scent (this might not be a con for everyone. I personally can't stand the particular scent of YSL lip products).


Bottom Line:

If you can overlook that hefty price tag, this product will no doubt become a cherished addition to your lipstick collection.

Hope you all are enjoying the holiday season! 

Daily Tidbits:
  • We went out to Indian Brunch at Copper Chimney in Sunny Isles about a week ago. I can't recall the names of any of the dishes. All I know is that everything was delicious. Highly recommend their Sunday brunch to all you adventurous foodistas out there.  
  • I baked a low-sugar, vegan pumpkin pie last night and it's almost half-way gone!
  • I unexpectedly achieved VIB Rouge status today at Sephora with the purchase of my Hourglass Immaculate Foundation. Oh well, there are worse addictions.
  • It is approximate 12:30 am right now and I just finished packing for our trip to Portugal. Why do I leave things for the last minute?
  • Going to Portugal tomorrow! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...