Recent Posts

Sunday, December 8, 2013

YSL Rogue Volupte Lipstick: Red Muse


Hello, friends!

As Cyber Week comes to a close, I've awakened a very dangerous narrow addiction within the scope of a much broader addiction (cosmetics). Having heard a lot of hype about Yves Saint Laurent cosmetics, particularly the lip products, I decided I needed to see for myself what it was all about. I had serious doubts, admittedly, as spending over $30.00 on one lipstick is not something I've ever done. A little over $20.00 is usually as high as I'll go (think Too Faced La Creme and UD Revolution) but what with the holiday Family and Friends discount on YSL's website two weeks ago, I couldn't resist picking up 3 entirely different shades of the Rogue Volupte lipsticks -- the perfect little sampler for a YSL n00b. Stepping out of my economic comfort zone for these products may be the best and worst thing I've ever done...



Yesterday, my husband and I were scheduled to have our holiday pictures taken at Matheson Hammock Park, an enchanting little woodsy place tucked away off of Old Cutler Road in Coral Gables. I, of course, am my own makeup artist and elected to put my Rogue Volupte in Red Muse to the test for a traditional, bold red holiday lip. One swipe of this creamy, luscious formula was sufficient to saturate my lips in vivid red. The formula imparts a lovely sheen for the effect of voluptuous, youthful lips, eliminating the need for a gloss. As the wear time reaches about 3 hours, the color does mattify slightly (but not at the expense of dry lips) and lose some of its original vibrancy; nothing a little touch-up can't rectify. And don't you just want to show off that luxe, show-stopping tube in public anyway? As this is such a wet, hydrating formula, do expect the color to transfer when you eat or drink. Lasting power is still excellent considering that it has so much slip.

Did Red Muse pass the test? Absolutely. I was able to keep my lips red for 12 hours, only having to re-apply twice.

Bottom Line

Pros: 

  • Packaging embodies an unmatched sense of glamour and luxury.
  • Quality matches the level of effort and detail invested in the packaging.
  • The formula is hydrating, youthful, and extremely pigmented without sacrificing at least average lasting power. 
  • Red Muse is an all-around flattering shade for many skin tones. 
Cons:

  • At $34.00 per lipstick, this is, unquestionably, a splurge and a luxury for the average cosmetics consumer. 
  • The description for this particular shade, according to Sephora and the YSL website which describe Red Muse as "a bright orange-red," is inaccurate. The color is a true red with a perfect blue balance. On warmer skin tones, it may appear/photograph warmer than it is.
  • The lipstick has a scent approximating perfumed cucumbers. For some it might not be a turn-off, but that's just my two cents.
I will be reviewing my other two Rogue Voluptes next. More to come!

Daily Tidbits:

  • I'm going out for Indian brunch this morning. 
  • I had the honor of doing my best friend's makeup for her engagement pictures a few weeks ago. It was my first time applying makeup to a face other than my own!
  • Our Nespresso machine has been acting up and it is such a nuisance. It's never satisfied no matter how much we descale. Such temperamental coffee makers!
  • In less than 2 weeks I will be overseas in Portugal! Going to spend Christmas or "Natal" with the Portuguese side of my family this year. :)

On my way to the holiday photo shoot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...