Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cayenne-Spiced Ginger-Lemon Tea

Whenever I feel a cold coming on (sore throat, sinus congestion, the works!) this is the tea that reminds my nose how to breathe properly again. One sip and whatever bug I may have caught begins retreating out of fear of its impending doom; white flags abound as white blood cells crack down!


Ginger isn't the prettiest root vegetable you ever did see. My sloppy slicing skills don't help its unfortunate appearance. But as you can see, you don't need to be too precise when you slice your ginger for tea.  


Ingredients:
1 finger of fresh ginger, sliced
1 juicy lemon
1 pinch of cayenne
1-2 cups of water
Honey, to taste

Directions:
Simmer the water with the fresh ginger slices in a small pot for several minutes. Turn off the heat and let the tea steep. The longer the tea steeps the stronger and richer the ginger flavor becomes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne pepper to your tea. Stir and serve with a couple of generous spoonfuls of honey. 

Clearer sinuses guaranteed!

Like my mug? :)

Daily Tidbits:

  • My voice is almost completely recovered from my recent bout with the flu, many thanks to this ginger tea. In fact, I'm drinking my ginger tea as I type this post-- part pleasure, part preventative measure.
  • I made a delightful yet simple tomato soup this evening for the Mr. and me. The recipe involved curry and coconut milk. It was fantastic!
  • Today, I cooked with coriander for the first time EVER! And while shopping for the ingredients for my soup at Publix, I learned two things: 1. Coriander is a very difficult spice to locate. 2. The gentleman who helped me find coriander in the spice aisle informed me that coriander is actually cilantro! That would explain why I enjoyed it so much in my soup. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...